At Harmon Dennis Bradshaw, Inc, our team enjoys an environment that fosters growth. We recognize that a company is only as good as the people behind it. If you are a talented individual who wants to progress their career and make a difference, we are interested in hearing from you.
The Operations Director job description is:
Summary: Responsible for the overall management, supervision, and strategic direction of HDB’s Operations Department, and monthly, quarterly and annual goal management. The position will have the responsibility to work with the President and Board, Management Team and other Producers and stakeholders to execute and accomplish the goals and metrics of the strategic plan. Demonstrate and implement HDB’s mission and strategy to our internal team members and external clients. Directs planning and workflow within department assignments to current and prospective clients by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervise the daily activities of operational employees. Monitor and evaluate productivity of staff.
- Work closely with Management Team and the P&C / PL team members to manage and grow business.
- Works closely with President to develop long term strategic planning.
- Works closely with Controller to develop annual budgets and various other financial targets to drive expected growth and profitability.
- Effectively communicates corporate strategy, oversees execution of strategic initiatives and aligns employees’ development plans with strategic objectives.
- Continuous assessment of the performance of HDB’s strategy and adapting on-going continuous improvement in operations, via audits/feedback, etc.
- Prepare and deliver performance evaluations on a timely basis. With HR, develop formal training programs to increase knowledge, skills, and backup responsibilities.
- Help develop workflow, procedures and policies and monitor implementation within the office. Perform audits and address any problem areas with staff. Evaluate, update and report on office issues, such as workflow, personnel, etc.
- Address and resolve personnel problems. Foster good morale within the office through a positive attitude and promoting a team concept environment, in addition to individual excellence and achievement
- Conduct meetings, as needed, to inform, obtain input, and train staff on procedures, current developments, etc.
- Respond to phone calls from clients and comply with requests and keep producers informed. Handle difficult customer or claims situations with staff where warranted
- Direct and lead company customer service strategy and operations to meet budget and other financial goals.
- In conjunction with P&C Producers & Marketing Department, fortify insurance company relationships.
- Establish the performance goals, allocate resources, and assess policies for P&C & PL operations (account managers, assistants, etc.) while being accountable.
- Develop, establish, and direct execution of operating policies to support overall company policies and objectives.
- Prepare reports for HDB’s Board of Directors on a quarterly basis. Such reports will present the operational condition of HDB’s P&C & PL business units in enough detail for the board and management to draw appropriate conclusions about the operational results, operational strengths or weaknesses, and overall success of the operations department.
- Demonstrate successful execution of business strategies for company products and services.
- Responsible for development and maintenance of organizational and relationship profitability models.
- Oversee partnership of business lines to foster and grow referrals and cross-sells.
- Work with managers from throughout the company to provide information and reports that will assist those managers in performing their duties.
- Oversee a high-level of quality and productivity within the organization.
- Implement competitive bench-marking standards.
- Coordinate the supervision of staff.
- Perform other duties as required by President.
- Market business, contact client when needed, create proposals and handle all activities in conjunction with producer to service clients assigned to position. Keep producers informed of important activities on their accounts.
- Provide direction in evaluating and selecting the proper commercial companies for the Agency. Maintain relationships with appropriate company representatives through proper contacts and effective communication. Stay informed as to market availability, competitive markets and continuously expand knowledge of markets sharing your knowledge with the department and Agency staff.
- Perform all actions relating to customers and companies in a manner that will avoid issues involving potential errors and omissions.
- Participate in seminars and other training to maintain required licenses and for knowledge and skill development.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field (preferred); or combined related experience in a P&C insurance company
- Property and Casualty license
- CPCU or CIC designation
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in management, preferably in an executive position
- Five-ten (5-10) years of insurance experience, required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the Commercial Lines Account Management, required
- Five (5) years of insurance sales experience, preferred
- Three-five (3-5) years managing an insurance sales team, preferred
- Knowledge of insurance underwriting procedures, required
- Knowledge of rating procedures, coverage, and industry operations to effectively manage, maintain, and write assigned client and prospect lists. Full knowledge of insurance markets and reference to markets.
- Responsible for knowing and ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations and guidelines, as detailed in company specific policies.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has supervisory responsibility and oversight of all operational staff in the P&C and PL departments
- Strong professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate, generate respect and trust with employees, management, Board of Directors and external constituencies
- Ability to lead and manage change, while managing industry changes
- Business Acumen
- Decision Making
- Ability to Deliver Results through Sales Performance Management
- Professional interpersonal skills
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality results
- Proven ability to work without significant supervision
- Solid writing, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to utilize technology in solving problems and performing duties
- Self-starter, imaginative, creative and can influence others
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Team player and willing to find accommodating solutions for our customers, companies, and Agency
- Thorough understanding of commercial underwriting and coverages
- Possess commercial lines product knowledge and participate in continuing education program
- Ability to understand written and oral communication and interpret abstract information
- Strong computer skills and be able to effectively utilize Agency management systems
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word word-processing software; Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software required; Sagitta and ImageRight software a plus.
The statements contained in this job description reflect the general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
- Seniority level: Director
- Employment type: Full-time
- Job function: Management, General Business, Strategy/Planning
- Industries: Insurance
HDB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.